Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ob Portu

As Sunday School Teacher to some of the brightest and committed adults in the world, I'm always trying to stay on my toes... so, in studying this week, I came across a word that I'm absolutely in love with...

Ob portu

It's a Latin phrase that we get our English word "opportunity" from. In the days before modern harbors, ships had to wait till flood tide to make it into port. Ob portu referred to that single moment in time when the tide would turn.

Ob portu...

Queen Esther had an ob portu moment, as did King David, the Apostle Paul, and countless others that have gone on before us.

Think I'll keep my eyes wide open - don't want to miss my ob portu moment!

6 comments:

  1. That's what I'm talkin bout!!! Don't want to miss any Ob portu moments. Love my Sunday School teacher. She is the bestest.
    Hugs.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, HOWDY!!! Wow! So glad to see you in this world, too! Ob portu, for you, too! Love it! I'll be checking in on you verrrryyyyy often... :) WELCOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the lesson. I have never heard that before. Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful new word to add to our vocabulary. Have a blessed Sunday.

    Stopping by from Debbie, New follower ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great word I'll have to remember!

    Just stopping by to say HI! I came by from Tara's blog - she's such a dear! And a new friend to me! I'm looking forward to your posts, Sherry! Think I'll become a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, there! Stopping by from Tara's blog! I'll be keeping my eyes open for my ob portu moments. Thank you for the new words. =)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
wife of 30+ years to a wonderful, Godly man. mother of two beautiful daughters and three georgeous grandsons. I feel like I'm the most blessed person in the universe!